Lots of neat things happening at the intersection of media & entertainment, analytics, and operations. For Episode 018 of Scatter Podcast, I interviewed Leondra R. James, Manager, Analytics & Operations at Saatchi & Saatchi.
From violinist and music major to data scientist, Leondra has had a unique mix of academic and professional experiences that shaped her career in data. Saatchi & Saatchi is a global advertising agency operating in 76 countries and Leondra works in their Los Angeles office. She joined the agency in January 2019 but she’s no stranger to media & entertainment having previously held data analytics roles at Alternative Revolt Magazine, Amazon Studios, and Twentieth Century Fox.
For creatives and non-technical people wanting to explore careers in data science, Leondra offers words of encouragement and provides feedback not often discussed in the data science community: “Your creativity is a strength that would benefit any data team!” Leondra drops lots of great tips and resources, so get ready to take some notes!
Post-interview notes from Leondra: For you R users out there… Leondra shares some awesome packages to check out for business process analytics including bupaR and processmapR. Check out the links below. For general R and data science learning, I recommend the following resources which offer free-to-audit / affordable resources for learning: Coursera, Edx, SoloLearn, Code Academy, Khan Academy, Udacity, Kaggle, Future Learn, Lynda.com, DataCamp, Super Data Science, (and for cloud computing courses…) Google Cloud, AWS. The course I recommend for beginners looking to get a review on common algorithms and learning R / Python is Jose Portilla’s Data Science & Machine Learning Bootcamps on Udemy. He has one in Python and another in R. I would also recommend that people attend Meetups.
List of top blogs and data science / analytics online courses that you recommend
- R-Bloggers: https://www.r-bloggers.com/
- R-Pubs: https://rpubs.com/
- Cookbook for R: http://www.cookbook-r.com/
- R-Project: https://www.r-project.org/
- Data Carpentry: https://datacarpentry.org/
- Stat545: https://stat545.com/
- FREE R e-books: R for Data Science, Intro to Data Science: Data Analysis and Prediction Algorithms with R, Machine Learning for Human Beings, Statistical Inference for Data Science, An Introduction to Statistical Learning with Applications in R, Text Mining for R, Report Writing for Data Science in R, Forecasting: Principles & Practice
Also for random, a fun read on statistics, I recommend The Manga Guide to Statistics (there’s also versions for Calculus and Databases)
- For all things SQL, W3Schools is my go to for a quick reference.
- Lastly, here is a comprehensive list of helpful R blog links: https://www.r-bloggers.com/blogs-list/
- Leondra’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/leondrajames/
- Saatchi & Saatchi (Los Angeles): https://www.wearesaatchi.com/